Monday, July 22, 2013

Why my husband makes me crazy!

Sunday morning started with our usual conversation.
Me: "So what are we doing today?" 
Eric: "well, I invited some friends over for a BBQ today. Is that ok?" 
Me: "What? Why? When? Are you f-ing crazy? I have been here for less than 24 hours, I'm jet-lagged, I'm PMSing, I haven't even found my bearings and now you want me to throw a dinner party in a house that has absolutely nothing in it except the bare essentials!?!?!? Are you smoking crack!?!" 
Eric: " you are making a big deal out of nothing. You don't even have to do anything. It will be fun. Would you rather me cancel?"
Me: "No don't cancel. How many people?"
Eric: "including us? Eleven people (5 of those small children)"
Me: "what time?
Eric: "they are coming at 3:00, we will sit and drink coffee while the kids play (with nothing) and start cooking at 6:00. They will be gone by 8:00. I can push it back to 4:00 if you need a nap first"
Me: "whatever. Do whatever you want."

So off to the grocery we go. Me, Eric, the boys (who I'm pretty sure snorted pure cane sugar before we left) and Oma, Eric's mom.

As we navigated through the store I suddenly felt a panic attack setting in. Maybe it was the boys knocking shit over, wrestling in the floor, falling off the buggy or maybe it was the question from my husband "what should we cook?" My answer: "I don't f-ing know! I don't even know what half this shit is!!!!!" Ok, maybe I was over reacting, but I was sleep deprived, crampy and totally in sensory overload with the reminder of what it is like trying to shop with these two Tasmanian devils. 

I went straight to the wine aisle and began filling my buggy. If I was going to do this than I was at least gonna feel a bit tipsy. 

I put on my big girl panties and put a smile on my face as his friends arrived. Don't get me wrong, I love his friends and their kids. I always have a great time with them. I just wasn't in the mood on this particular day to entertain in a house that isn't mine, nor is it even close to being equipped for guests. Think rental condo with 4 cups, forks, knives, spoons, and you get the picture.

We ended up having a good time, although it was hot as hell (with no AC) and the afternoon sun beating down on us with very little shade. This is why we were huddled against the back of the courtyard with only 12 inches of usable shade. 

I survived and we all had fun. Also, my husband owes me a new pair of shoes. ;) 





No comments:

Post a Comment